The village of Walpi is located in northeastern Arizona, on the Hopi reservation, and is home to the Hopi Senom. Walpi has been continuously inhabited since 1690 (Gasser and Adams, 1981) and is one of the “must see” villages in North America.
First Mesa was home to the village of Koechaptevela around 1400 A.D. (Ahlstrom, et. al., 1991) and is on the westernmost part of First Mesa. For reasons not fully understood, inhabitants moved to Walpi around 1690 A.D. (Ahlstrom, et. al., 1991) and eventually the villages of Sichomovi and Tewa were established.
For many years the village remained without running water and electricity. Today, residents have running water and electricity thanks to efforts of the Hopi Tribe.
Richard V. N. Ahlstrom, Dean, J., & Robinson, W. (1991). Evaluating Tree-Ring Interpretations at Walpi Pueblo, Arizona. American Antiquity, 56(4), 628-644. doi:10.2307/281541